Sunday, December 21, 2014

December 21 -- My supplies dwindling, I made a visit to Gerhard's studio to borrow paint and ideas

I knew I wanted to paint paint from the beginning of this project.  I just didn't know the theme or the context.  However, given the chance to have a conversation with an artist about painting, I wanted to choose one who paints obsessively.  There are many obviously, but Gerhard Richter came to mind as a prolific painter who is not concerned about having a "style," but rather in exploring all the qualities of paint.  I am also really interested in the idea that we are continuously "borrowing" from everything we come in contact with -- be it consciously or subconsciously. In literature, Kristeva's intertextuality is one of my favorite concepts.  It can be interpreted in many ways, but I like to think of it as the communication within a novel between all the influences the author brings to the table whether we the reader are aware of those references or not -- this adds an immense depth to the reader's experience of the novel -- and then we the reader bring a whole other set of references that may find themselves enhancing the reading experience -- it is all about creating a conversation across time and medium.  I am currently (and slowly) reading Federico Fellini: Painting in Film, Painting on Film which really talks about the intermediality of Fellini movies -- another of my favorites -- gosh I seem to have a lot of favorites!!! 

Or -- this little painting can be blobs of paint, an empty paint tube, and a textured background :-)   The empty tube of paint is viridian green -- one of my favorite colors!  There's also ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow, cerulean blue, and kings blue (all favorites).  In case it hasn't been obvious... I seriously love painting.  I recently took a workshop with David Shevlino, who said about the career of artist, "If you can do anything else at all, do it."  I found out the hard way that the only thing I want to do is paint.  I spent a lot of years trying to have a practical career (things I was good at), but painting is my obsession.  There is no relegating it to hobby or saving it for retirement.

So that was more than enough words... here's the painting, "My supplies dwindling, I made a visit to Gerhard's studio to borrow paint and ideas"

My supplies dwindling, I made a visit to Gerhard's studio to borrow paint and ideas
4" x 4" oil on board
mounted to white 5" x 5" frame
Sold

 

Here's a video of Gerhard working in the manner used to create the "background" of my painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment