Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 20th -- Akira and I took tea at twilight in the garden underneath strange flowers

Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams" is a visual feast!  I am in love with beautiful movies, and this is certainly a beautiful movie.  Kurosawa began as a painter, but burned all his canvases when be began directing.  He didn't return to painting until later in life.  But he painted on screen -- "Dreams" has 8 different stories (dreams) and each is visually consistent and stunning.  This little painting takes its cue from one of the darker dreams of the film -- The Weeping Demon (mostly because I liked what I could do with the still -- it is insanely hard to take a still from a movie and juxtapose it with other thoughts -- if the director, cinematographer, and editor are good, each movie still tells its' own complete and wonderful story!)   And the teapot -- I wanted one of these teapots for years.  My husband and I would go to Niagara on the Lake and I would see this little iron tea pot year after year.  I would never let him get it for me -- $100+ on a teapot seemed so ridiculous.  Eleven years after first seeing this teapot, the kids gave it to me one Mother's Day -- it makes me very happy to steep tea in this and to drink it out of our tiny no handle cups.  Please excuse the glare spots in the photo.



Akira and I took tea at twilight in the garden underneath strange flowers
4" x 4"
oil on board mounted to 5" x 5" white frame
Sold

No comments:

Post a Comment