Friday, December 19, 2014

December 19th -- "I'm chasing a royal flush, but Richard has pocket aces of clubs and spades."

I have played card games ever since I can remember.  Actually, over a board game or cards is one of the ways I find it easiest to relate to people.  My favorite part of Christmas has always been playing the new games together as a family.  Over the last few years, my brother has inserted a family game of Texas holdem into our holiday traditions.  I never, ever win (just in case anyone is looking for an extra to play poker with), but I love it anyway.  Now on to the art part.  I was thinking there was no way I could weave cards into this little series without being incredibly cheesy (even more so than I've gotten), but then that favorite abstract artist I mentioned in the first post from this theme, Richard Diebenkorn, came to mind.  His Ocean Park series is out of this world, but that didn't fit with where I wanted to go.  I have repeatedly taken this book out of the library (and paid too many overdue fines) and remembered he did a series of paintings and etchings called "Clubs and Spades."  Oh what luck!  So I could have a conversation with Richard Diebenkorn about playing cards on canvas (or panel to be technical).  I also sing Kenny Rogers' The Gambler near the end of most paintings -- knowing when to call a painting finished is a gamble.  One more stroke just might make it sing, or it might flatten it out -- a gamble (hell this whole art career thing is a gamble -- but one I'm really, really happy to be doing!)

Here's the painting, it is called "I'm chasing a royal flush, but Richard has pocket aces of clubs and spades."

I'm chasing a royal flush, but Richard has pocket aces of clubs and spades
oil and sharpie on board
4" x 4" 
mounted to white 5" x 5" frame


$55.00 (+tax and shipping)
 
 
Sold




Here is Diebenkorn's painting "Clubs-Blue Ground" from 1982

 
Because I can't help myself, here's one of Diebenkorn's Ocean Park Series -- oh how I love this stuff!



Ocean Park No. 67



 
 
And here is Kenny Rogers' The Gambler


 




No comments:

Post a Comment