Monday, January 17, 2011

Workshop with Tom

I took a fantastic still life workshop with artist Tom Kegler this weekend.  We watched a demo in the morning, had lunch at the Roycroft (I loved talking with other artists again... they also have convinced me that I need to visit California at some point in my life), and then in the afternoon, we went to work on our own still life.  The painting below is my result -- it's not quite resolved, but I don't think it will change drastically.  It's a bit more classical than I usually work, although I was still careful to remain true to my colorist self.  There are some colors (browns mainly) on this palatte that I don't normally use, although I seem to be starting to use Burnt Umber in more of my work.  Learning more traditional, realist painting is quite a different experience from my initial background... trying to incorporate both without loosing my sense of identity :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment