Monday, December 13, 2010

Art League Workshop with Robert Liberace

So I had blast in Virginia this past weekend studying with Robert Liberace.  He's a fantastic teacher and a warm personality.  The three day workshop focused on portraits of children and young people.  We had the pleasure of painting is 5 nieces (sisters all with names starting with the letter V), and they were wonderful models!  I'd love to share some of the workshop demo pictures, but I didn't catch whether I was allowed to or not, so to be on the safe side I'll just send you to Rob's site to see his work.  I wish I had a better set up for photographing my work, but here's here's a look at the pieces I saved from the three days (I wiped away a few paintings as I only had 4 canvases with me :-()

Day 1 -- Vonya








On day one we watched Rob do a demo on drawing, massing in the shadow shapes, and then using just a few pigments to create the form.  Then we did a few quick 20 minute sessions of just drawing the form and massing in the shadow shapes with burnt umber.  Next we worked on a "complete" piece using the limited palette.  My painting of Vonya consists of 5 pigments -- burnt umber, terra rosa, yellow ocher, titianium white, and the tiniest touch of cad red light in the lips.

Day 2 -- Vayla

So on day two I missed the most important 1st hour of class because I was stuck in Virginia/DC traffic!  I played  catch up for the rest of the session, but it still turned out okay!   I wiped away my first Day 2 painting and forgot to take a picture -- goldfish brain induced by two children and much stress :-)  So this is my afternoon painting with a full palette.  This is a different way for me to paint because my initial training is much more color based than value based, so I really learned a lot and now have multiple approaches to draw from.

Day 3 -- Valeria







On day three we got right to work, so this painting of Valeria has another hour or so of work put into it than the other two.  We had the option to watch paint individual features during some of the twenty minute sessions instead of working on our own pieces, and I definately took advantage.  He demo'd an eye, a nose, and a mouth -- it was pretty amazing to watch -- I took pictures, and I'm hoping I remember everything he talked about as he worked.  I was struck by the ease with which he painted and the precision of his brushstroke. 

I also had a wonderful time talking to fellow artists and was encouraged by a number of them who make a living as artists.   And the Art League in VA -- whoa what a place!

No comments:

Post a Comment